On July 12, 2007, North Carolina General Assembly passed a mental health parity bill. The final House vote was 114-2. The bill proceeded to the Governor for his signature.
About House Bill 973:
1. HB 973 covers all group plans.
2. HB 973 covers 9 diagnoses at full parity: bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, paranoid and other psychotic disorder, schizoaffective disorder, schizophrenia, PTSD, anorexia nervosa and bulimia.
3. HB 973 covers all other mental illness diagnoses at financial parity ? meaning deductibles, coinsurance factors, co-payments, maximum out-of pocket as well as annual and lifetime limits must be the same as for physical illnesses.
4. Mental illness diagnoses not included in the 9 listed above may have different durational limits, but the minimum benefit required must provide for:
Thirty (30) combined inpatient and outpatient days per year and
Thirty (30) office visits per year
5. The law becomes effective July 1, 2008.